Easter holidays 2016. Prepare yourselves. They are going to be loooooong. Easter Sunday is pretty much the earliest it possibly can be-falling on March 27th this year. With Paddy’s Day a mere 10 days earlier, this means your little darlings will be finishing up school on March 16th and not heading back until April 4th. Di-sas-ter! Two and a half weeks of them looking at you, shouting at you, swinging off your earrings (I love my kids really but I also love our little breaks apart, absence makes the heart grow fonder, and all that jazz!)
So what to do?Well ideally, you’d ship them off to to other family members far,far away but what if those family members are rather inconveniently heading off on their own holidays? Here then, are some of the nicest break aways I’ve found for the Easter holidays. Cos what’s better than staring at the same four walls getting on each other’s tits? Staring at brand new walls while getting on each other’s tits, that’s what! Reseached by me so you don’t have to cos I’m good like that! All breaks aways unless stated are for a family of four, so larger families, expect the prices quoted to rise. That’s what you get for having all the babies.
- The Hodson Bay Hotel Athlone, Co. Westmeath. A long time family favourite and situated just an hour from Galway, 90 minutes from Dublin just off the M6, this hotel offers loads for your little and large members of the family this Easter. Enjoy 2 Nights B&B plus 1 Evening Meal for each adult, children stay free for B&B. Fully supervised Kids Activity Camp included for 4-12 year olds, each morning 10am – 1pm with lunch included and each evening 6pm – 11pm with dinner included.
Plus you also get a complimentary activity voucher which can be used for a
boat Trip, Kayaking, Sailing, Spa Treatment Round of Golf, Bowling, Archery, Pellet Gun Shooting and many more!All for €495.
- The Lodge at Ashford Castle., Cong, Co. Mayo. Set in absolutely stunning surroundings, on the banks of Lough Corrib and just minutes from the picturesque village of Cong is the Lodge at Ashford Castle. For €549 you get two nights in a duplex suite (which is just as fancy as it sounds!), breakfast both mornings,dinner for two adults one night whilst you little darlings are being minded and there are Kids club activities on throughout the day to keep your little ones
away from youentertained.
- Fota Island Spa Resort, Fota Island, Co. Cork. This offer includes one night B&B, with hot chocolate served on arrival for the little ones and access to the Kids Camp during your stay. This package allows parents the opportunity to relax in the beautiful surroundings of The resort maybe taking in a Spa Treatment while the someone else looks after the kids. Price: €307.
- Flights to Bristol with Ryanair are lovely and cheap most of the year and happily, Easter is no exception! Fly from Dublin on Wednesday 30th March and back on April 2nd for only €24.99 return. Bristol is a gorgeous city, with loads of family friendly activities.
- Or take a magical mystery tour to Liverpool with Ryanair. Fly from Dublin on Sunday 27th March and back on Wednesday 30th for just €19.98 return.
- Finally, there are flights to Manchester from Shannon with Ryanair for just €19.98 per person, flying out on Tuesday 22nd March and returning on Sunday 27th. Shopping, Old Trafford, Coronation Street and a whole bundle of stuff for the minors.
Bear in mind with Ryanair that there is a fixed charge of €20 each way for any infants under the age of 2. This is a bit unfair if the price for an adult is less than a tenner, considering the baby doesn’t even get their own seat! However, never try and get around this by booking an adult ticket for an infant, as you will be busted at the airport. I speak from bitter experience here.
Disclaimer:All prices are correct as of Thursday, March 3rd, 2016. I did not receive any compensation from any of the hotels or airlines mentioned above, though I would very much like to.